Deborah Laws & Associates
Australian Resettlement Solutions
For your protection Deborah Laws & Associates and its agents are registered with the Migration Agents
Registration Authority   and is bound by the Registered Migration Agents Code of Conduct.

The General Skilled Migration Program


The general skilled migration program is for people wishing to migrate to Australia independently of their employers. Applicants will need to be under the age of 45 and over 18 years, have good English, recent work experience and formal qualifications.


Applicants will need to nominate an occupation on the 'Skilled Occupation List' and have their skills recognised with the required assessing authority.


You will be able to include your Spouse, De-Facto spouse or Interdependent Partner (same sex), and dependent children in your application.


Most skilled visas are points tested and depending on whether you wish to live in a major city or regional area will depend on your required points. You may also apply with the assistance and sponsorship of an Australian relative or state or territory government which will reduce the amount of points you will need to qualify. The points test takes into account your age, nominated profession, English speaking ability, qualifications and work experience.


The General Skilled Migration Programme is a scheme to help overcome skill shortages within the Australian workforce and to recognize individuals who can bring valuable economic benefits to the Australian economy.

You may qualify for a skilled visa if you are a skilled professional, trades person or international student graduating from an Australian university.


There is a range of visa options under the General Skilled Migration programme for skilled workers who want to live in Australia. The visas include options for skilled people applying as an independent migrant as well as those sponsored by a relative, or nominated by a State or Territory government.


The Basic Requirements


Age - you must be under 45 years of age  when you apply


English language - you will need to have no less than 'competent English' and in some cased depending on your occupation you may require a higher level.


Qualifications - You must have formal tertiary qualifications and have documentary evidence of certificates, degrees and academic transcripts.


Nominated occupation - Australia has a list of suitable occupations for migration purposes you will need to ensure that your occupations is one listed on the 'SOL' list. This list changes constantly.


Australian qualification exemption - You can receive extra points for having an Australian qualification and you may be exempt from the work experience requirement if you have completed your Australian study in the past 6 months.


Skills assessment - You will need to have your skills assessed by an assessing authority which corresponds to your nominated occupation.

Expression of Interest (EOI) - we will lodge an EOI on your behalf and monitor and advise the best options. 


Health assessment - All skilled visa applicants will need to undergo a health assessment. We will assist you with making arrangements with a specially nominated panel doctor at your location.


Character assessment - You will need to also undergo character testing, this will require you to provide police clearance certificates for all countries where you have resided in for more than 12 months.


Points test - Some skilled visas are points tested and you will be awarded points depending on all of the above basic requirements.

Your points


You will require a total of 65 points under the new scheme (from July 1st 2018) to qualify for a visa. We always suggest using either a family member to sponsor you or to seek state sponsorship (which we will assist you with).


To view a full list of the points available please follow this link;